Latest News

Training

World of Work

Conference Facilities

Training

Heritage

Vintage 'T' in the Park

Vintage 'T' in the Park

Vintage 'T' in the Park

Fri 2nd Sep 2011

On Friday 2nd September 2011, St. Antony's Centre saw the arrival of 45 Model T cars to help us celebrate 100 years since the car was first produced in Trafford Park.  10 of the cars present were actually produced in the Trafford Park plant.

In 1911, the Ford Motor Company chose a disused tram shed in Trafford Park as the location for their first plant outside of North America. Production of the Model T began and continued until 1927 when it was replaced by the Model A. During this time, 300,000 Model T's were produced at the plant. In 1931, operations were moved to a new larger plant in Dagenham and the Trafford Park plant closed its doors for the last time.   

The event was arranged in conjunction with the Model T Register of Great Britain who were taking part in a 3 day tour named ‘Buxton and beyond' and OMC Ford who sponsored the event. The convoy stopped off at the Centre for an hour as part of their visit and allowed visitors and enthusiasts to view their vehicles, ask questions and sit in the cars themselves.

At the end of the visit, the Model T Register club presented the Heritage Centre with a plaque commemorating the centenary and this will be placed in our exhibition area for all to see. The cars were then driven through the Park to the site of the original factory where the drivers were presented with a commemorative pin badge from OMC Ford.

In the afternoon, Bernard Champness presented a talk on Ford in Trafford Park in our conference room and we then held a Friends of Trafford Park reunion.

We were extremely pleased with the turnout on the day and how smoothly everything ran. A fun day was had by all!